Sunday, September 10, 2006

Five Years Ago If You Recall

I think about 9/11 as I sit here at my PC five years further on. I look out the window. The morning here is bright and clear, very much like it was on that day. What am I thinking? I recall some of the feelings and impressions I was feeling then. Allow me, on this fateful anniversary's eve, to share with you a few of my most poignant memories...

Memorial Light Columns, spring, 2002

I remember at some point on that day thinking, "this is how the Pearl Harbor generation must have felt." It was a quite real feeling of weight right in my stomach as I realized then that the day's events would play a major new factor in our collective destiny as Americans. It has.

I also remember just how, what's the word here? Well, sober and clear everyone seemed to be just after. People were more lucid than usual it seemed. People were also more sensitive and helpful to each other. It spite of the potential for chaos, folks kept level. Catastrophe was in the making, Americans delt with the situation with tender heroics. Instead of a demoralizing effect on Americans, national identity and pride were the psychological substance brought to the fore. As days passed, we looked closely at ourselves. We asked ourselves questions and became most introspective. We picked ourselves up and went back to work. Avoiding economic chaos is an amazing American characteristic. We also showed self-disciplined restraint toward a collective will to retaliation. We chose not to blindly visit the same cruel and useless violence on even our attackers. Ultimately, we realized the American essence, which prior generations would have seen in us, realized it and been proud. I think this effect still lingers. It is what they term an "unintended, positive consequence."

I also remember the days after 9/11 and the quiet skies. Flying was banned if you remember. The couple of nights after 9/11, I remember standing outside in the evening noting the very tangible absence of planes. The night was brilliantly quiet. No small plane drone, no helicopter throbs, and no jet roar. It was actually rather beautiful.

Today, who knows? America does appear to be somewhat more secure. At least, we have not had any attacks on the home soil. For certain, the victims of 9/11 deserve remembrance and honor.

We have an enemy that melds into crowds. An enemy who won't put on a uniform. An enemy bent on pushing a fascist Islamic agenda. An enemy that hides behind civilians and cries foul if any should find themselves in harm's way. How hypocritical? We find ourselves facing an enemy which utilizes the terror tactic, and spreads hate and untruth with propaganda.

The New Freedom Tower Design- Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, LLP- Slated for Completion in early 2011

I applaud the millions of Americans who know the serious nature of the threat we continue to face. May our nation continue to stay unified and strong. Let us all maintain our commitment, patience and courage. After all, our American principles- and indeed Western civilization- are a way of life we must always be willing to fight for to maintain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home