Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Struggling to Juggle Technology

Let's get this out in the open on my very first blog post. I confess, I know absolutely nothing about computers. Without revealing my exact age, I share with you an anecdote. When I was in school we had no computers in the classroom. The "pc" did not exists yet. Computers did, but they were large and you had to know what to do with a punch card. Here is the thing, I remember our teachers telling to get ready. One day, they prophesied, EVERYONE will be using computers. People will use them at work! We students, in our innocence and ignorance, stared back slack jawed at our sage elders. Well, turns out they were right. Even they could not have imagined how right they were.
I know a young man. He's in undergrad school. He, and his generation, were weaned on computers. This kid is amazing. I have seen him work. First time I met him, we were talking computers, I asked him what brand he had? He looked at me as though he didn't understand the question. He just cobbles the things together from parts he buys on e-bay. Glad he's on my side.
As we welcomed in 2005 way back in January, I honestly didn't even know what a "blog" was. Trouble is, I still don't. I am determined to learn though. Is the younger generation so much smarter than we baby-boomers? I don't know the answer. However, when it comes to computers, the younger kids have shown me that the best way to figure it all out is just to "jump on and start peddling. Here I am, so watch me go. Please don't be too critical. Hopefully, as the near future unfolds, my acquired computer skill will be reflected in a blog that is as professional and as exciting to experience as any.
One thing I've alread learned, the on-line community is filled with folk who are all too happy to help a fellow out. The American spirit of innovation is so alive in cyberWorld. It has amazed me to learn that not only are the younger generation of computer users innovative, they love to share. It's a brave new world and I'm glad to have finally gotten off the starting line.
Thanks to my young friend, Sean (techoboy), and all my new friends in the StumbleUpon community for your continuing support and assistance.

1 Comments:

Blogger James Moffitt said...

You are doing just fine my friend. :) I have been blogging for the last 2+ years and I have been in the Information Technology industry for 15 years. I love to share my knowledge and experience with anyone who is interested in learning so feel free to holler at me if you need some help in these areas. I work 7 days per week so I dont have much time to read blogs however I have enjoyed reading yours. You are off to a great start. Keep it up!!

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home